The Uncomfortably Fun Truth About Growth
Tuesday, October 10, 2023, 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
The biggest thing that holds our clients back is staying in their comfort zones. Whether it’s avoiding feedback, procrastinating, or not pursuing their dreams, avoiding discomfort keeps our clients stuck. Embracing discomfort is the key to growth and the good news is that it’s scientifically trainable. In the same way that getting to the gym makes us stronger, getting to the discomfort gym is the ticket to personal growth. The real question is how do you help your client embrace discomfort?
In this session, you'll learn the five science-based tools to help your client change their actual brain chemistry by adding the magic ingredient of FUN. Fun is what makes our brain want to repeat a behavior. But it's also a skill. The better you get at combining discomfort with fun, the more momentum and growth your client is going to create in their lives.
Everything your client wants lies on the other side of discomfort. Come to this session to learn the evidence-based skills for how to make getting outside your comfort zone actually fun -- both for you and your clients! Because mastery always feels better than comfort.
The visuals for this presentation can be viewed here.
Core Competencies highlighted in the session are:
1) Demonstrate how to facilitate “getting-out-of-your-comfort-zone-exercises" with clients, which will help their clients build the necessary cognitive and emotional resources in order to do the difficult work of personal development.
2) Differentiate between whether a client needs help moving out of their comfort zone (needs more challenge) or whether they need help moving out of the panic zone (needs less challenge).
3) Define for clients how their brain naturally resists discomfort, but that with skillful application, the client can make the discomfort of growth more rewarding by adding fun, play, and enjoyment.
1.5 Core Competency
Sliding scale: $33, $25, $15
Non-members: $5 more
There are two steps to registering for the event:
1) After registering for the event, you will receive a zoom registration link.
2) Please use the zoom registration link to register and obtain your zoom meeting link.
James Garrett is a brain coach and founder of Brain by Design. He’s spoken on stages ranging from Harvard to TEDx and his work has been featured by The New York Times, FastCompany, and Harvard Business Review. He spent years doing research with some of the best psychologists in the world at Columbia, Tufts, and Yale.
He’s a content creator and course builder and his course called, “Brain Science for Coaches” has been rated as one of the best courses for coaches and is currently certified by ICF for 30 continuing coach education credits. He’s a certified coach through the Whole Fit coaching program. He also built one of the only brain-based positive psychology curricula in the Middle East and trained thousands of Arab youth in partnership with Queen Rania of Jordan.
A rare combination of scientist, trainer, and entrepreneur, in 2019 James launched the Deep Change Project, a personal journey to discover what’s possible at the outer edges of neuroplasticity and to overcome fear.
Follow Us On Social Media
© 2023 ICF Washington State
Website design MembershipManagementServices.